Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Where has the time gone...

Wow, it’s been an embarrassingly long time since I posted an entry… I’m not exactly sure how I fell so completely out of the habit of blog-posting since I returned to Germany. Maybe it’s the fact that I’m working a 9-5 job (internship)… or the fact that I already had friends here in Oldenburg (e.g. singing group members and former classmates), so there’s always plenty of social activities I can join in and stay busy with… or maybe other stuff and a combination of many things. Anyway, I'm back.

And here’s a summary to get myself “caught up” again:

  • Back in Deutschland – I’ve been back in Germany since early June (yeah, once again, I'm embarrassed about the time lapse). I spent two weeks traveling in southeastern and central Germany with a university-sponsored renewable energy field trip (more to come in a separate posting), and then I arrived back in Oldenburg. Life in Oldenburg is significantly different than the first time I experienced it. For one thing, I live on the second floor of a house (instead of a dorm room) in a completely different part of town than I did previously. Secondly, my lifestyle is no longer that of a student, since I spend roughly 45 hours per week working in an office and commuting (but at least I have no more tests to study for or lab reports to write).

  • Master’s Thesis Internship – In July I began a practicum with a wind energy consulting firm called Deutsche WindGuard (www.windguard.de). The company’s office is located in a small, North-Sea coastal town called Varel, which is around 23 miles (37 km) north of Oldenburg. Each day I ride my bike to the Oldenburg train station (5 minutes), ride the train for 30 minutes to Varel, and ride my other bike to the office (10 minutes). Yes, I live a 2-bike lifestyle ;) …but both bikes are old, ugly, and borrowed. I’ll write a separate posting about my thesis topic.

  • Singing Again – After a four-month break (during the semester in Athens), I’ve returned to the a cappella group I sang with during my first semester – Jaco de Musio. We just returned from fantastic group trip to Västerås, Sweden (around an hour’s train ride from Stockholm), where we attended an a cappella music festival/conference hosted by The Real Group (Swedish a cappella singing group extraordinaire). We had a fantastic, inspiring experience at the festival (more on this in a future posting).

So there you have it – all caught up with my current life in Oldenburg… (in a general overview kinda-sorta way)


My new Oldenburg apartment (2nd floor right-hand window)