Saturday, May 17, 2008

Don't You Worry

Okay, so this post has nothing to do with renewable energy or Europe or my experiences here... It's just something I wanna share. Early in 2007, my former a cappella group, V-Chords (http://vchords.com), was preparing to compete in the National Harmony Sweepstakes in San Rafael, CA. For the purpose of self-critique, we occassionally made audio or video recordings of our rehearsals. Following the competition, one of our members posted the following video of our rendition of Stevie Wonder's "Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing" on youtube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtWyF4bx8JQ

In February of this year, a student named Cheiku at Miami of Ohio University emailed the V-Chords requesting permission to sing our arrangement. He'd seen our youtube vid and hoped his a cappella group could sing it in an upcoming concert. I sent Cheiku the sheet music for the arrangement... and didn't hear back from him for a while. Then a couple of weeks ago, Cheiku sent us a link to the video of his group, The Miami of Ohio Remnants, singing our arrangement in their spring concert:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fS8oTYt5kA

It was really flattering to see another a cappella group -- composed entirely of singers I've never met -- singing my arrangement.

And on a related note: Last summer, just before moving from the Portland area, the other V-Chords guys each recorded their parts for this "Don't You Worry..." arrangement into digital recording software on my computer. Then from my parents basement in Kentucky, I recorded my solo, did lots of editing of the individual parts, and sent the individual recordings to a pro studio engineer in Chicago, Freddie Feldman (
www.vocomotion.com), for mixing and mastering. In October we received the mastered recording, and in early May our recording became available for sale on acatunes.com: www.acatunes.com/album/419. Check it out!