Monday, June 23, 2008

Sunset on Filipapou

Filipapou is a hilltop monument to the SW of the Acropolis in downtown Athens. It’s one of the highest places in the downtown, so there’s a nice vantage of the city, the Acropolis, and the sea. Although I’d previously been to Filipapou two or three times, Xavier (one of my flat-mates) hadn’t yet been… so we set out on a Saturday evening (around a month ago) to catch the sunset there. Xavier & I were joined by Laurent and Marion, two of our renewable energy classmates. The sunset was colorful, and I got a few decent photos of Athens under nice lighting.
.


Filipapou monument at sunset
.


Soirée en Filipapou (L-R: Laurent, Xavier, et Marion)
.


Athens facing NE (backed by Mt. Imitos)
.


Sunset as spectator sport
.


The Aegean Sea to the SW of Athens
.


View of the Parthenon (Acropolis), with Mt. Likavitos behind

.


Silhouette (photo by Dr. Varga Gábor)
.
While I was standing on a concrete pillar (in order to get a clearer view of the Acropolis for the previous photo) a man approached me and said, “Hi. Look…” as he showed me the display screen of his digital camera. He managed to capture my silhouette, the Filipapou monument, and the colored sky, all in one shot. The photographer, named Gábor, is a banknotes (currency printing) professional for the country of Hungary. He happened to be in Athens, at the time, for an international conference on European banknote standards. At my request, he kindly emailed this photo
to me.