Thursday, September 27, 2007

More Cameroonians

Last night was another late one... The Cameroonian pal from my dorm, Alinda, passed me in the hall, as I was returning to my room (with my newly washed laundry) and insisted that I come with him to meet a group of Cameroonians who were having a party on my floor. I had a really good time speaking Cameroonian English, mixed with French and (broken) German for 3-4 hours. All of them speak German fluently but with an African accent that makes it pretty much unintelligible to me. I also don't understand much when they switch into Pidgin English (most of them are Anglophones, from near the border of Nigeria). I had a good time talking about Cameroon and trading stories and cultural references. And the wife of one of the Cameroonian guys, who is German (but speaks English pretty well), did a really good job of teaching me how to use a few German words and grammar that have been giving me problems. Unfortunately, she and her husband are moving to Hamburg (around an hour away) and won't be around anymore after Friday. It's too bad -- they're both really nice people. I wish I'd had the opportunity to get to know them better.