Friday, September 21, 2007

Just because it means one thing in English, doesn't mean...

Today, I went to a Turkish döner [gyros] place for lunch -- it's pretty popular here. I ordered a chicken gyros meal with veggies and rice, but it didn't come with any pita bread. So I asked the waiter (in my very best Deutsch) for two pitas and some hot sauce... I stopped eating my food to wait for the pitas, because I wanted to stuff them with my meat, veggies, and rice. 15 minutes later, when I asked the waiter again about my pitas, he looked perturbed and said they were almost done. "Does he have to bake them from scratch?" I wondered. When he finally returned to my table, instead of bringing two pieces of pita bread, he had made two complete pita meals (pita bread, stuffed with meat, veggies, rice... and the hot sauce I ordered). What a lesson in word choice and making sure I'm understood! To me, a pita's just a bread pocket, but to him it was a menu item. Looks like I'll be eating Turkish food back at the ranch for the next few meals...